Sunday 23 February 2014

A Celebration Begins

This weekend we have been celebrating fifty years in Australia.  My Mum and Dad travelled by plane, the type with propellers, in 1964 from England to Australia.  We didn't have any relatives or friends here and they chose to set up house in Adelaide, South Australia.  I was only six years old.  I remember standing in front of my class telling my classmates I was going to Australia.  I had no idea what it meant or that I wouldn't be returning anytime soon.  At six the world is a small place!  I have yet to revisit the mother country, but the thought is becoming clearer. 
Fifty years on my two brothers, two sisters, Merv and myself have added to the family.  This weekend seventeen of us are getting together to celebrate, while my brother's children and grandchildren who live in Sydney and  are unable to come due a new baby recently born.  There are now numerous delightful grandchildren and even four great grandchildren added to the clan!
The place where we are celebrating is only ninety minutes away from home.  A large house overlooking the water with a promise of cool breezes in this hot summer heat.
We are only staying three nights but I've been getting ready for weeks!  I haven't forgotten it's not the getting ready or even getting there it's the celebration of spending time together.

No comments: