Thursday 3 April 2014

Wolves and Sheep

Merv is a healthy man considering his disability.  He hasn't had a cold or the flu for years.  He never complains about pain or his health in general.  I like him to see his GP from time to time and realised recently it's been a number of months since his last visit.
His GP is now seventy two and slowing down a bit.  He's just had a knee replacement operation and chatted about it, mentioning he didn't heal as quickly as he would have liked.  It was a pleasant visit.  I wrote out a list of what is happening in Merv's life for his medical file.  The GP was impressed.
Not so many years ago this same GP who has known Merv for over thirty years would make snide remarks at me and came across rather rudely.  It seemed so very odd.  A wolf in sheep's clothing.
 The GP is a respected Christian doctor with a heart of compassion and usually very humble and kind.  I thought about possible reasons for his rudeness.  I had asked him to sign the power of attorney form for Merv four years ago.  Was that it?  I couldn't think of anything else.  After a number of further visits I had just about had enough and felt I should tell the GP how his snide remarks upset me.  I was concerned if I did exactly that, Merv would become upset.  Therefore I held my tongue and figured ten minutes of rudeness was better than days of Merv being cross with me.  I still don't know why the GP reacted to me but the last three visits he has turned on the charm, threw around compliments and listened to me intently.  I am much relieved and even more relieved I didn't complain.  Just proves even elderly kind hearted GPs can be bullies.

No comments: