Wednesday 2 April 2014

Sand Shoes

My trek from Trigg past Scarborough Beach
My shoes are filled with sand.  They flick sprays of  sand as I trudge through the beach sand.  My walking poles have been a godsend.  I don't think I could have or would have walked two hours through this soft dry sand without their help.  There are bodies everywhere.  There are bodies lying on the beach the colour of gingerbread, soaking up the sun.  There are bodies surfing the waves and others splashing and swimming to keep cool.  I look a sight with my hat, my backpack, bumbag, walking poles and my shoes flicking up sand!  I stop regularly and sip my water from the bladder in my backpack.  I have fresh ripe pears and basic raisin biscuits to keep me energised.  I take photos of the lucky people enjoying the sun and the surf.  I would love to race into the water and let the cool water splash over me but I trudge on completing my training today.  I miscalculated the time and walked an extra thirty minutes.  It's very hot and it's already after lunch.  The sweat pours down my back and I can't remember which exit to take to the car park.  I trudge up one and Ellie is not there.  I retrace my steps and work out how far out I am.  The next exit is just a gamble but it pays off and there is Ellie waiting patiently for my return.  I remove my shoes and empty mounds of sand out of them.  I wont put them in the boot until all the sand is shaken out.   I turn on the air con and drive the thirty five minutes home. 
Ellie waiting for my return at Trigg Beach



No comments: