Friday 21 February 2014

Mind Games

I reached out to grab the dishwashing liquid. My hand stopped and I retracted it, as I realised the bottle wasn't where it always is.  I stood transfixed in time.  Where could it be? It's just a bottle, a bottle of little significance, but I always know where it is.
At first I dismissed my concern, surely it is hiding amongst the numerous things on my kitchen bench.  I am packing for a weekend getaway and it appears I am packing everything except the kitchen sink.
I stop, I smirk, I know it is here, it is playing hide and seek with me.  I strain my eyes over every product.  I have just come back from grocery shopping, there are still many products to put away in the pantry.
Then the mind games began.  I suddenly remembered the woman who couldn't find things but later found them in her fridge!  Oh GOODNESS, dementia has set in!  I am so young! 
I gingerly look in the fridge, I check the vegetable crisper.  Relief.  It is not in the fridge.

My dependable bottle enjoying its holiday!
I check around the house expecting to find it somewhere strange.  I check the dishwasher.  It is not there.
I breath a sigh of relief.  My grey cells give me a nudge.  Oh! I go outside and there on the table with Merv's plants is the bottle of dishwashing liquid.  It looks quite pleased with it's new view and plant friends. 
Why was it here?  I remember Merv had finished watering his plants this morning while I was at the kitchen sink with the bottle in my hand.  Instead of simply putting the bottle down, I took it with me and here it is. 
A puzzle solved.  I am not suffering dementia after all.  No, I am  just a little preoccupied!

No comments: