Friday 25 July 2014

Harry and the BBC

This is not a media report (thank goodness!)  In my house BBC is an acronym for, 'Boring Brown Cup.'  Huntington's Harry has been throwing his weight around once more.
Less than a month ago Merv was enjoying his morning cup of tea after breakfast.  I was in the bathroom when the heard the gasping sound of choking.  I flew down to where he was sitting.  He had brought up some of the tea but he could not get his breath.  He began to panic.  I was talking to him while providing first aid for choking.  In desperation he lifted himself up from the chair which allowed him to clear his airway and he sat exhausted back in his chair.  Merv had choked on numerous occasions over the last four years but I had not witnessed anything like this. 

I am not a speech pathologist (who is trained in eating and drinking issues) but I refused Merv further drinks unless he used a straw.  I contacted the speech pathologist and she visited the next day with her stethoscope to listen to Merv's swallowing.  She concluded Merv must continue to use a straw in both hot and cold drinks.  This wasn't so difficult.  When we had lunch out I put a straw in  his beer glass and he did not complain.  I straddled a straw in his small cup of tea, which looked rather strange but he did not complain.

Last week Merv was drinking water through a straw when he drank too much and once again choked.  If the last time was a ten out of ten, this was at least an eight.  I emailed the speech pathologist.  She insisted she visit straight away.  I rearranged the day to allow her visit.


We hadn't expected her to bring the BBC, but she presented it to us and explained it allows only 10ml of liquid to be released each time the cup is tilted to drink from.  It is called a, 'Provale Cup.' It has taken Merv almost a week to get used to it.  Due to the limited flow, Merv now has to drink more frequently to ensure he is well hydrated.
It is only a cup, a lot like a takeaway coffee mug with a handle.  I imagined Merv's beer in the BBC.  I imagined going out for lunch and having to pour his drink into this now alien cup.  I couldn't think about it.  I got on with pulling the three parts of the cup apart, filling it with water and replacing it later with Milo or tea. 
The speech pathologist isn't 100% sure the BBC is right for Merv.  To buy the cup it costs $160 from the disability shop and just over $60 each online.  I am sure it costs $5 to make in China!  Until we get the thumbs up we will continue to use the borrowed BBC, emptying and refilling it constantly.

BBC Provale Cup



No comments: