Sunday 27 April 2014

Big Calorie Diet

About a month ago I eyed Merv's enlarging stomach and decided he was in need of a make over!  A diet to widdle the tummy away while satisfying his sweet tooth!  We started as one should with a weigh in at 91.6kg.  Merv used to brag he was a thoroughbred as he ate what he liked and rarely went over 70kg.  While he was working he was always 66kgs, weighing less than me at times!  Since his retirement in 2010 his sweet tooth hasn't changed only his weight! In the last few years I have made an effort to reduce his portion size due to his now limited daily activity.
The diet began with fewer chocolate biscuits and cake, replaced with bananas and stewed apple with custard.  Merv helped slice the Granny Smith apples after I peeled them and I remind him daily of his cooking expertise!  Today I made a cake.  I couldn't help myself, I haven't made a cake for awhile and I was going through withdrawal.  I had fresh plums in the fridge, flour and sugar in the pantry.  Yes, everything I need for my favourite, Upside-down Plum Cake.  I was away, creaming the butter and sugar, beating the eggs, folding in the flour, making the glaze for the plums to shine.  My withdrawal symptoms now replaced with happy endorphins!  I cut a slice of cake for Merv.  Just a tinny bit smaller than usual, sliced up a banana and added some low fat ice cream.  A perfect afternoon tea delight!

No comments: