Saturday 28 June 2014

Slumbering


I was asleep when the phone rang.  I knew it wasn't the middle of the night, therefore the prospect of an emergency wasn't feasible.  I stumbled out of bed and grabbed the offending phone before it went to message bank.  A formidable thought.  Mel asked me if I had read her texts.  I answered I had been asleep!  It is Sunday.  The weatherman promised a minimum of two degrees and I figured a sleep in was called for.  It is 8:40am and any thought of thirty minutes on the treadmill or a shower and hair wash are out of the question.  I stagger down to the kitchen and lounge and turn on every heater we possess.  I wake Merv up and apologise for sleeping in.  I begin the breakfast routine, one I know well and complete even without a shower or workout.
Yesterday the family met together at home to make home made pizzas and share the celebration of both my birthday on Friday and Grace's birthday on Thursday.  I had made home made pizza bases during the week and wedged them in the freezer until Friday night.  All the shopping had been completed on Friday and Mel helped before Dustin and Grace arrived.   Together we prepared, chopped and sliced mushrooms, red and green capsicums/peppers, tomatoes and pineapple.  Our Breville pizza oven was prepped and ready for service.  The table was set and the champagne chilled.  Our lunch was a great success.  I demonstrated how to flour and roll out the pizza base.  Complete with rolling pin while sporting a flowery apron!  We piled the pizza bases with the range of salad vegetables and chose between diced bacon and chicken strips.  Grated cheese completed the colourful scrumdidiliumpcious pizza.  The pizza was followed by multi-layered sugar free jelly in parfait dishes with pineapple (tinned) and strawberries between the three different coloured layers. We piped low fat cream on top and decorated with a chocolate finger, kiwi fruit and star fruit slice. 
Before the footy began hot coffee and birthday cake was served.  Dustin and Grace purchased a chocolate mega cheesecake topped with swirls of chocolate cream and cherries.  Poor Mel groaned at the calories and sampled a slither without the cream.  Grace and I enjoyed a slice each vowing not to think about the fat and sugar, only the sheer enjoyment of indulgence!  Mel took five slices of the cake home.  Not to eat but to give away to two support workers and three friends.  She is a giving person and much less cake for me to indulge in later!
After our very successful day yesterday
 a sleep in was most enjoyable.
Jelly delight
Mel cooked her own Pizza
Our Happy Birthday Cake Celebration
                                                               




 








No comments: