Monday 18 November 2013

Counting Jellybeans

Another celebration of a different kind.  Two years ago today I paid off our crippling mortgage.  We claimed on Merv's disability insurance which was part of his superannuation.  After three months we received not only the disability payment but the whole superannuation amount.  I held the cheque and thought;  mortgage or Ferrari?  Of course it was a no-brainer.  The mortgage had to go.  I made a day of it by taking the day of work.  I did tell my boss!  I travelled by train up to Perth and treated myself to morning tea pretending to read the local newspaper.
Sweet treats always help
 I arrived at the solicitor's office after withdrawing the necessary bank cheque.  I was ushered into the boardroom of the office.  A large table surrounded by empty chairs was before me.  Where were the brass band and the cheerleaders?  Surely paying the mortgage early entitled me to a little fanfare?  No such luck, the solicitor took my cheque, gave me a receipt and suggested I go to Landgate in Midland and receive the title deed for my property. 
Definitely no fanfare!

I was running against time, I needed to board the train, get to Midland, pick up the title deed and return home before the support worker needed to leave.  It was a Friday afternoon and Landgate was almost empty.  I was holding the title deed in my hot little hand in no time.  The bank no longer owned my property, it was a very good feeling.  It took me almost a year to come to terms I never had to pay another mortgage payment.  I photocopied the title deed and put it on my desk to remind me! 
Two years on I no longer think about monthly payments and interest rates.  My thoughts are now elsewhere.  Keeping my head above water financially is my goal.  I save a small part of the pension. There are always holidays on the agenda!  I  keep a tight budget but I always allow enough for a visit to the Dome Café or an outing somewhere with Merv.  The government has a budget app,  Track My Spend.  It helps me to see where my money goes and keeps me responsible.  Well at least, most of the time!  Just like most of life's challenges, budgeting is a balancing act while having some fun along the way.  We're happy as long as we can pay the bills and have a little left over for some sweet treats in our shopping trolley.

No comments: