Friday 15 November 2013

Fish & Chips at Kailis Brothers

I rubbed sunscreen into Merv's arms, neck and face after dressing him this morning. It is meant to be 36 degrees today, rather hot.  Merv is off to Fremantle with the day centre for lunch.  Lunch in Fremantle is more often than not; fish and chips overlooking the ocean at Cicerellos or Kailis Brothers.  Today the group is lunching at Kailis Brothers.  Crisp, crunchy, fresh, deep fried fish and chips.  I can almost smell and taste it now!
Last week I booked Merv's respite for next year.  I could only get one week in April instead of the normal two.  I have found two weeks gives me enough time to enjoy a holiday plus some time around the home to get some big jobs done.  It maybe painting or having the sandstone professionally cleaned and sealed.  Chores which are difficult to complete with Merv at home.  Last week the admin officer said there is a possibility the person having respite the week after  Merv's may be happy to reschedule to the following week.  Just before I dug out the number for the respite this morning the phone rang. I answered, surprised to hear the admin officer was calling as I was thinking of her!  She said everything was fine and Merv was booked in now for the two weeks in April.  I was overwhelmed with the generosity of the person willing to move their own respite to accommodate us.  I had imagined I would have to contact another respite provider to receive the two weeks.  It is a joy to know I no longer have to travel that path.  All is done.
Merv returned home on the community bus just after 3pm.   He smiled as he told me he ate fish and chips, but not all the chips.  They often give you more than a decent serve.  He was hot and was soon enjoying a couple of glasses of chilled water.  Afterwards I made him a chocolate milkshake and scooped out his favourite ice cream into a bowl.  He grinned at me and held my hand.

No comments: