Wednesday 13 November 2013

Catch a Wheelchair

Sometimes a day starts with a little drama and comedy and mine was just like that.  I had finished my cruelling 30 minute work out on my treadmill and I could hear the bin man roaring down the road in his industrial truck.  I sprinted outside, clicking on the remote, waking the automatic roller door  to the carport. It grumbled as it came to life.  I grabbed the green bin and did the 100 metre sprint to the verge.  I looked at the truck approaching and oh no, its the recycle bin truck!  Back I sprint grabbing the yellow bin and rush back to the verge.  The nice recycle bin man had noticed the strange little housewife sprinting back and forth and stopped his truck right in front of me.  His claw reached out and grabbed my bin, shaking it violently above the truck before returning it to the verge.  I waved, grabbed the yellow bin and sprinted back to the carport.  I must make a note to put the bins out the night before!
Merv was happy to attend the HD social group this morning while I attended a free iPad training at the local library. 
I was also on a mission today.  I had rang the Occupational Therapy department at the local hospital a couple of weeks ago in hope Merv's assessment could be brought forward.  Alas the OT I spoke with today explained Merv's needs were secondary compared to others who need equipment in their homes.  I agreed with her 100%.  I have worked in community services for almost ten years.  I still could not understand why Merv's assessment was taking six months, since last year if Merv was in need of equipment it was just a phone call and the following week they were knocking on our door!  Last year Merv was given foam triangles to place under his mattress which stopped him from falling out of bed.   In the last few months a social worker has given me information to contact private OTs but now I am told we would not receive funding unless we go through the hospital assessment!  Oh goodness is there no hope?   I finished today's phone call by stating I would buy Merv a wheelchair.

Catch of the Day outside the hospital
I went about my day, taking Mel to appointments.  My mobile rang just after 1pm.  The OT was on the line saying they had a couple of returned wheelchairs and they were happy if we took one for Merv until he has his assessment and is measured up for a chair of his own.  His assessment is  booked for 8th January.  I was delighted we had been offered a wheelchair and I met up with the OT, who was very friendly.  I apologised for being difficult, because I know I was.I put the wheelchair in the car and took it home to surprise Merv.  His support worker was as surprised as he was!  We chatted about the opportunities of long walks using the chair. While I stressed he will still walk for at least 10 minutes each day to keep him healthy and as mobile as possible.  I am already dreaming about long walks by the Perth foreshore and the joy of the 50 minute circle around Monga Lake!


No comments: