Wednesday 6 November 2013

Mel's Big Day

Surprise Birthday Cake for Mel
 
Mel's big day has at last arrived.  I rang her at 8am this morning and sang, 'Happy Birthday' to her.  I could almost hear her smiling!  I dropped Merv off at his HD social group, arriving at Mel's unit before 10am.  This allowed us time to arrive and take her cake to her art class.  I made a Weight Watchers cheesecake, which promises 5 points for each slice.  I am sure no one is tracking their points today but the thought is there. 
Mel was dressed and ready for her day.  She was proudly wearing her, 'Birthday Girl' badge and sporting her new haircut.  I dropped off a shop bought cake at Hogs Breath Café before we arrived for lunch.  Mel didn't know about this surprise.  This morning I found little round candles with smiley faces on them in Coles. 
I unexpectedly met up with her boyfriend at the shopping centre and asked him if he wanted to come and pick Mel and her friend up from the art class.  He was happy to do so.  He confided in me how much he enjoys talking and being with Mel.  Sweet words to warm my heart! 

Happy Candles for our Happy Girl
 
We easily found a parking space not so far from Hogs Breath and soon the invited party of eight turned into eleven!  Mel is just the type to invite people when she sees them and not count heads.  It wasn't a problem we just squashed up a little more and added a few more chairs.  Lunch was a $9.90 deal for most and well priced as many of her friends are on the pension and have to watch their expenditure.  Oh yes, I'm also on the pension!  We had the cake after some of the guests had left and there was plenty of cake to go around.  We took some photos and left with pleasant memories of another birthday celebration with Mel.  Every birthday is a bonus to cherish.



No comments: