Friday 29 November 2013

Christmas Choices

Last December I had few choices to make.  I was working three days a week and filling the rest of the week with appointments plus my ongoing caring commitments.  The joy of Christmas was everywhere.  Everywhere except within me.  It was more like a battle to keep my head above water.  I shopped for Christmas decorations and bought things I wouldn't necessarily buy.  It compensated for lost joy!  I knew in my heart it was going to be my last working Christmas and like a magpie building its nest I decorated the house,  I decorated my office also and the volunteers came in to marvel at my once boring room transformed into a Christmas wonderland.  I kept the Christmas celebrations with Merv to a minimum.  There was no time to attend a Carols night or drive past local houses transformed into sparkling Christmas scenes or attend other Christmas functions.  We did attend the Huntington's Community afternoon tea and I attended the office party at the local pub. 
This year we get to choose.  Where there is more than one celebration on the same day we choose which event we want to attend.  We are already planning to watch the annual city Christmas pageant next Saturday evening.  I am scouring the local papers for Christmas Carol nights.  Why settle for one, when we can attend two or three or even more!  The joy of community and unity is a warm hug at a Carols evening.  Our calendar is filling quickly and I am beginning to fill with joy!

No comments: