Monday 11 November 2013

The Butler

Today the sky is clear, the sun burning hot, even though it's still early.  I have finished pulling up the wild oat grass behind the shed and the local city council is picking up my garden waste from my verge today.  I have pruned and dug up the lavender bushes in the front garden.  I have a plan and this is the first step.  Merv sat outside under the patio for awhile and suddenly complained it was too hot and wanted to go inside!  It must be hot, for he rarely complains about anything.

Poster of Lee Daniels' The Butler
The Butler Poster Ad
I think about what we can do to get out of the house and out of the heat.   A check on the website and we are off to the movies.  We pick up Mel and head for the cool of the cinema to watch the newly released, 'The Butler.'  The two hour film started with pain and ended in glory.  It began in 1921 and finished in 2008.  The film is about racism in the USA during the life of  Cecil Gaines.  Cecil began life in the cotton fields of the south and was later employed as a butler in the White House.  The prejudice, injustice and cruelty towards 'coloureds' is clearly portrayed.  There were many times I shed tears during the movie.  After recently returning from South Africa where I visited the Apartheid Museum in Johannesburg, the pain of racism is raw within me.
Racism, disability, physical or intellectual difference affect many of us.  Unfortunately even today some people continue to show prejudice and heartlessness towards anyone outside of the 'norm.'
It brings joy and warmth to my heart when I meet those who show no prejudice.

No comments: