Saturday 16 November 2013

Bibblumun Track

I fancy myself as a 'walker,'  not the really experienced type with the bulging backpack complete with sleeping bag, tent and food.  No, I am the yuppie type.  Give me a bath and bed in a hotel at the end of each walking day!  It's more like having your cake and eating it to! In April this year I completed stage one of the Cape to Cape Walk in the south-west.  It was a two and a half day walk covering 31kms. We walked during the day, dined in a restaurant at night and slept in a hotel.  It suited me just fine!
There's not always a lot to do on the weekends, therefore I booked Merv and myself in for the Bibbulmun Track presentation at our local library this morning.  After I complete stage two and three of the Cape to Cape walk, possibly in 2015, I delight myself in the thought of completing even a tiny part of the Bibblumun Track. 

The Bibblumun Track Map in WA
Steve was our presenter today.  He has walked the whole 1,000kms from start to finish three times in fifteen years and has completed endless shorter walks on the track.  The track begins in the hills of Kalamunda, a suburb of Perth and winds its way to Albany on our southern coastline.  Steve was easy to listen to and kept us entertained with his many stories, including the man who packed his hairdryer in his backpack!  There is no electricity on the track!  From beginning to end the track takes six to eight weeks to walk with plenty of overnight campsites.  There are a number of towns on the way but some parts of the track the allowed car parking is from four to seven nights apart (walking).  The adventurer in me sighs.  I wish I was younger, or fitter, or just more adventurous!
Merv and I have always walked, whether in the bush or along the beach or the river.  It is something we miss together.  Hopefully the new wheelchair will get us walking again and enjoy the pleasures and the beauty of the great outdoors.




No comments: