Thursday 28 November 2013

Fruity Success

A basket full of luscious strawberries
The day went full speed ahead.  Merv and his support worker headed off to play ten pin bowling and later they try to outwit each other playing board games at home.  Mel has two appointments.  Firstly with the diabetes educator and secondly with her dietician.  Both of them were impressed with her progress and excellent blood test results.  We wasted no time in shopping for seasonal fruit and veg before arriving at the swimming pool.  Mel is a wizard in the pool!  She strides ahead at full steam with her hands locked in front of her.  She completed 67 walking laps in less than one hour!  I was struggling to complete 20.  I took time out to swim leisurely and allow the stress to drain from my inner self.  I lay on my back and let the water hold me as I immersed myself in the escapism of the melodic lapping against my skin. It was as if I had passed over into another realm. 
All too soon it was over.  I grab my towel, round Mel up and drive back to her place for a hair wash and shower.  A quick drive to my house for curried egg and salad sandwich before Mel's GP appointment at 2pm!  Goodness!  All done.
Merv picking the fruit of his labour


Merv's patio garden is thriving and producing an assortment of surprises.   I noticed the strawberry plant was heavy with big juicy strawberries.  I asked Merv to come outside and pick them.  We rejoiced together at his gardening success.  Don Burke would be proud of him, just like I am! 
The tomato bushes are growing prolifically  and are full of small green tomatoes awaiting a colour change.  The flower seedlings have now bloomed and fill their baskets with cascading rainbow coloured petals, which add beauty to our otherwise ordinary back garden.  I smile and share Merv's joy with him.

No comments: