Saturday 4 January 2014

Removing the Gremlins

I roll my eyes, I scratch my head, I sigh.  What is the answer?  I ask myself.  It is with fear and trepidation I enter Mel's bedroom.  She has a large room with an ensuite bathroom.  She lives in a large unit with two housemates.  Everything else in the unit is shared, but her bedroom is her own.  Her room is an eclectic mish-mash of whatever you could imagine.  It is my downfall.  No matter how much I coerce her or endeavour to help her clean it and keep it clean, I continue to fail.
There are bags strewn over the floor which are filled with all number of things. Every inch of space on the dressing table and every surface is filled, often piled high.  The bed is often unmade and the window shut tight.
I enter her room through half closed eyes, slide open her window and declare war.  It is of no use, her army always wins!  I need a strategy.  I go back to the drawing board.  I let my imagination take over and leave it to work.
Then I have my epiphany!  When the kids were little they had so many toys which lay strewn across the floor, too many to play with and too many to pick up after play.  We put away some of the toys and brought them out a few months later.  It worked. 
On Thursday I am going armed with large plastic containers and hoping Mel will be happy to store some of her treasures for a few months before exchanging them.  Less treasure, less gremlins, happy room.  We'll see!

No comments: