Saturday 10 November 2018

Not on the Cards

It's been a tough month.  The second time in as many months I have flown the coup enjoying a few days away.  Merv has not been neglected.  His community support workers have kept him company and comfortable.
As Merv's health continues to decline he continues to lose weight with his personal needs forever increasing. At times I am running to keep up with his needs.
The community support workers read my daily notes and add their comments in the communication book.  I noted recently there was no comment on Merv's delight in beating everyone who dares to play him at UNO.  How he loves the game of UNO.  He has played for too many years to remember.  His sly smile when the workers state his delight in meddling bordering on cheating.  Cheating?  Merv?  Absolutely!
I asked the workers and they gave me different answers.  One of them said he was too tired, the other said they hadn't had time.
I asked Merv instead.  He said it was difficult to hold the card holder.  I suggested I velcro the card holder to the tray table in front of him allowing him to be hands free.  He just said, "no, he didn't want to play anymore."
I sat and cried.  What will he give up next?  There's not a lot left to give up.

No comments: