Friday 6 September 2013

Welcome Back

Merv's regular support worker, Joe had pressing family business overseas and was away for three weeks.  It is inevitable that support workers take holidays, medical breaks or leave altogether.  It happens all the time, but you hope it won't!  It takes time to mould a support worker (paid helper).  Firstly you have to get used to their personality and their idiosyncrasies.  In stating that, they have to get used to not only the person they are supporting plus their spouse and family members.  It is like a dance where everyone practises and learns the necessary steps ensuring no one steps on their toes.  If toes are stepped on, conflict results and it's only a phone call to the supervisor and a new support worker is knocking on your door and the dance practise begins all over again.  Familiarity is always a preference.  I remember when I was a support worker for a large community service provider.  I successfully applied to be an Assistant Coordinator and gave two weeks notice before beginning my new career in the office.  My clients were sad to see me go.  Some of them even cried and complained they would have to get used to someone new.  I had over time understood each of my clients and how I could support them while encouraging them to be as independent as possible in their own homes. 
Joe is back and we welcomed him and told him we missed him.  We did.  Joe has his flaws, those idiosyncrasies which we all have but he knows and understands Merv and the family and we don't want to start again with someone new.  Welcome back Joe.

No comments: