Wednesday 18 September 2013

Rose Coloured Glasses

Merv's neurologist explained what had happened and what to expect.  It was May 2010 when Merv became unwell.  Overnight he stopped eating, he could not remember how to turn off the tap, the simplest tasks became difficult and many tasks he was unable to complete.  Merv later said it was like having; 'a cloud in my head.'  The neurologist went on to say he expected Merv to improve and to plateau.  He was right; that was exactly what happened.  He never reached the heights of wellness again but he was able to feed himself again and complete basic tasks.  I can only explain the improvement as a warm wave of relief.
The neurologist said these 'dips' in his well being would continue and once again he was improve and plateau, never reaching the previous plateau.  Not much to look forward to there.  It  explains the reason I try to fill his day with adventures and fun times.  I don't ever want him to forget.
Merv's mobility is not so good.  Sometimes I kid myself that it is not so bad.  I put on my well-fitting rose coloured glasses and the world suddenly has a rosy warm and fuzzy hue.  It is the same as burying my head in the sand..... what you can't see can't hurt you!
We used to enjoy a 20-30 minute walk around the park but Merv's pace has slowed and his breathing is noticeable after 10-15 minutes.  I don't ever want him to stop enjoying a walk, it is always a delight to get out of the house and enjoy the sun, the trees and the wildlife. 
The next best thing is to purchase a wheelchair.  I figure he can then walk unaided for 10 minutes and finish enjoying our walk in the comfort of the chair.  Everyone wins;  I enjoy a good walk and he enjoys getting out and enjoying all that is around him.  It's just not the way I would like it to be or how we planned life.

No comments: