Thursday 5 September 2013

Calling The Cavalry!

I was already tired when I awoke this morning and I knew I had to be ready for battle.  Not the sword wielding, armour wrestling type.  Far too easy.  The battle I was preparing leaves no bloodshed just frustration and exhaustion.  I arrived at Mel's unit at 9:30am.  She has moved to her new unit, which isn't really new, she was originally housed here almost three years ago before changing to another unit.  The units are part of a village style community for people with an array of mental health issues.
She stood alone in the middle of her room surrounded by piles of plastic bags and an array of paraphernalia.  I took a deep breath and stood with her.  Firstly the decision to be made; where to place the furniture including the bed to utilise the space efficiently.  Secondly to do the pushing, shoving, placing of furniture, changing the initial plan and trying all over again.  A support worker asked Mel to help clean up and pack her remaining belongings in her old unit.  I was left alone among the sea of bags and became quite overwhelmed at the task at hand.  I panicked and called the cavalry!  My sister was my point of call and I felt guilty she had worked an overnight shift and promised to come and help at 2pm after her shift finished.  Hope at last!  We stopped at 12pm for a break and some lunch but we were soon back on the scene. The support workers had rallied together and took charge of Mel's remaining belongings bringing them to her new unit just after we arrived back.  Now there were not only bags of stuff everywhere but bedding, shoes and clothing strewn over the lounge and bedroom floors.  Quietly I put bags of things she never uses into my car.  They will go home with me and never revisit the unit again.  To be fair I will go through everything and keep anything I think she will use or re-home it as necessary.  Mel is a hoarder of much and people generously give her things they no longer need or want.  I have a wonderful skill of throwing things when she isn't looking. 
Mel helped make the bed, put the 100's of DVDs and CDs away and hang the clothes in the wardrobe.  My sister like a soldier on a mission took charge of the clothes and bedding items in the lounge and was soon organising the bedroom as well. We were all so very tired and we called it a day after 3pm, promising to return to finalise the bedroom transformation.  With Mel's and my sister's help the task had been completed to a satisfactory level.  To be continued.....

No comments: