Wednesday 16 November 2016

Genie in the Bottle

I've done it before, wearing blinkers while looking for a sophisticated solution when a simple one is looking at me!  Poor Merv he had lost his dignity wearing continence pants which didn't do what they should.  Day after day we battled with wet beds and soggy pants.  There was washing, cleaning and more washing.  I was pulling out my hair by the handful.
We had discussed a bottle.  My thought were concentrated on a bottle of Merlot, Pinot Noir or deep red Shiraz but none of the above.  We were discussing a urinal bottle.  It just seemed so simple.  Mel and I visited the disability store where the assistant discussed the various bottles. We passed on the one with a push on lid.  Merv's fine motor skills no longer do him justice.  We settled on the no-spill bottle which comes in a soft shade of blue and no other colour.  It cost three times more than the one with the lid.
I had forgotten the many times Merv had been in hospital as a younger man.  He took to his bottle like a duck to water!  I had placed towels, mats etc around the proposed area only to find none of these were needed.  The very best part of the story is his bed is dry and his dignity and a certain amount of independence returned.  He still is unable to walk unaided in the house after his fall which damaged his calf muscle.  I am hoping it will heal in time and Merv will be able to walk by himself once again.  I can only hope.
Yesterday his physio and her assistant visited as the afternoon cooled after a heatwave morning.  They had Merv wheelchair walking and doing a range of exercises to strengthen his calf.  They also  showed Merv how to walk to the toilet (with assistance) but stopping at each door frame, holding onto the sides of each frame before moving to the next one.  I would never have thought of that.  He is enjoying this exercise which helps him gain his balance and slows him down.  He has a habit of going ahead at top speed to reach his target.
I sigh heavily.  I am happy not to wash sheets everyday.  Emptying and washing the blue bottle is a small price to pay.

Regaining dignity and independence

No comments: