Monday 7 October 2013

Paradise

I lay on the sunbed under the shade of a straw-thatched umbrella. The sand is white and grainy, the sea deep blue and calm with a lick of surf in the distance.  I am lying perfectly still as sun warms me and an revitalising breeze enraptures my mood.  I am reading a novel 400 pages long, there is no-one to disturb me, nothing to be done.  There are endless hawkers, all licensed and all polite.  They come and ask if I would like to buy their beads, bags and scarves.  I send them away but chat with a few.  I talk with the man who has been selling on the beach for 20 years.  I buy a beautiful straw bright pink bag from him and a necklace which matches my Balinese earrings I am wearing.  A young girl of 32 chats and tells me about her children and how she took over her father's license.  He has since passed away.  It is good to talk with locals and find out about their lives.  So different from my own.
The journey from Perth to Mauritius seemed to take forever but in fact it was 8.45 hours and 1.5 hours from the airport to the resort.  We have all rested since then.  I am having a lazy day, lying on the beach enjoying the serenity and feeling myself calm down.  Lunch with the group (Travel with Me) was a time to catch up and share our stories.  Some of the girls went into the local town. Many of us just chilled out.  I am going to have a swim this afternoon before cocktails at sunset.  Tonight we dine at the Italian restaurant together, there are 15 of us
.  Dustin sent a message and said everything went well with Merv going into respite today and hopefully all went well at home while I was away.  It is useless worrying about it, there is nothing I can do.  I am going to have fun and enjoy before my journey at home continues again.

No comments: