Thursday 31 October 2013

Getting Summer Ready

Summer is time at the beach
 
Spring has awoken - the sun has begun to rest heavily in the sky each day.   We all know and understand the impending heat spells the relentless smothering of a heat blanket stifling us in the early weeks of summer in December right through to mid April.  We have now forgotten the chill of winter and our conversation revolves around how hot we are, how hot we feel,  how hot our house is and how much hotter it is outside.

I write notes to the support workers to ensure Merv is drinking enough water.  Last summer I forgot the notes and he became dehydrated.  The air con is working well, and the reverse cycle is set to cool only.  The watering hoses have been checked and Merv has began watering his new patio garden twice a day.
I have pulled out the summer clothes, pushing the warmer clothes to the back of the wardrobe.  The soup in the pantry will be used next winter and the ice cream in the freezer located and ready for action.

Memories of the Red Bull Air Race in Perth 2009
 

Spring and summer are ideal for picnics and BBQs on our long white beaches or in the park, both just as good.  I clean down our portable table and chairs and begin to plan outdoor activities and family get togethers.  Merv's summer job is to clean down the glass table under the patio, where we spend countless hours enjoying lunch, playing games or reading a book.
I found my old windscreen reflective shield today.  Yesterday I used my jacket over my steering wheel when parked, it can get so hot it feels like you are juggling hot potatoes when driving.
Mel and I went to the local indoor swimming pool today.  The water was warm and we trudged up and down the walking lane for over half and hour.  We know the exercise is good for us.  Mel soon tired but we will be back keeping in tune with our summer traditions.

 

1 comment:

Sally said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.