Friday 14 March 2014

Meelup Beach

Mel forgets about calories while on holiday!
A kookaburra entertains us at Meelup Beach
It's our final full day and we are planning to make the most of it.  Even the ongoing road works between Busselton and Dunsborough refuses to deter our enthusiasm! We arrive in Dunsborough at 10:30am and meet up with friend Helen.  Mel is determined to bite into a custard and cream doughnut from the local bakery.  We arm ourselves with coffee in disposable cups, cakes of our choice, serviettes and choose a table sheltered from the chilly breeze.   We watch Mel devour half of her doughnut before she has a change of heart and gives the remaining half to Merv.   He has no reservations and devours both the doughnut and his apple pie.  I delight in a fruit slice and Helen enjoys a French vanilla slice.  We chat for an eternity only stopping as time beckons and our day is being swallowed up.  Helen suggests we give Meelup Beach a miss and visit the beach down the road where we went on  Monday.
It's been twenty four years since we visited Meelup Beach and the memory of calm bluer than blue ocean, soft sand, trees and grass come together to paint a perfect picture.  Mel is thinking likewise and we head off ignoring Helen's directions and we end up at Yallinyup before we turn around and successfully find our way to Meelup.  I feel like we are on a treasure hunt.  We pull the fold up chairs from the boot and arrange them on the grassed area which offers an amazing view of the ocean, sand and people frolicking in the water.  A palette of blues keep us mesmerised as their intensity changes constantly.  A lone kookaburra shows off in a tree not far from us.  He delights in laughing and I capture his cheekiness with my camera.  Merv and Mel sit on their chairs while I kick off my shoes and squish the sand between my toes before allowing the salt water wash over my feet and tickle me with delight!  My memories of today compliment my memories of yesterday.
The beauty of Meelup Beach
We return the wheelchair after we have our final long walk along the Busselton foreshore.  The weather has warmed slightly and the exercise is our plan but the view and enjoyment make our last day in Busselton a special celebration.  We finish our day with a meal at the Esplanade Hotel.  I remember as a teenager eating counter meals at the Esplanade Hotel.  I take photos to show Mum.  Hopefully it will bring back pleasant memories of years long gone.




No comments: