Monday 17 March 2014

Time is of Essence

I wake this morning knowing there is only two weeks before Merv is in respite.  Time is of the essence.  I am tidying up after last week's holiday and my brain is in gear getting ready for the next one!  I begin to feel like a travelling salesman.  There are items I have not unpacked since our family 50th celebration as they await for the next journey. 
I have a list for the coming fortnight which includes grocery shopping, shoe shopping and bits and pieces which need to be purchased.  I have invented a training roster which takes up most of my respite time.  I make a decision how to proficiently execute the above.  It is simple.  I take Merv grocery shopping.  Usually we shop together for a small bag of items which gets him out of the house, gives him a little exercise as we choose items from one end of the supermarket to the other.  Today the agenda is different.  I grab a shopping trolley and instead of pushing it myself  I ask Merv to push it while I direct it.  I know many people with mobility problems say pushing a trolley helps their balance, I put it to the test.  The trolley takes no time to fill and the majority of items on my list have been thrown, thrust, dumped and placed carefully (eggs) into the trolley.  It has been a successful mission.  I ask Merv what he thinks about doing the big shop together and I get little response.  It is after his lunch time and we head home and I make his lunch before putting away the groceries.  I am glad it is one chore to cross off my list.

No comments: