Wednesday 5 March 2014

Respite Funding

Once bitten twice shy is a well known saying but true. Last year I rang Commonwealth Carer Respite Centre (CCRC) to apply for funding for Merv's two weeks respite. It was like a tug of war and I ended up paying for five days of Merv's fortnight respite.  Every other year I have got away with paying for three days respite.  Some years we have received the full amount paid.
Merv is booked into respite in three weeks.  I take respite twice a year as it helps to keep me sane, recharge my batteries and even for a short time I can remember the life I used to live!

Today I was ready for battle!  Instead of waiting for the paperwork from the respite provider I rang this morning to find out the current daily rate before ringing CCRC. I cut straight to the chase. I was polite, I listened, I answered his questions.  I asked to pay for three days ("as usual" - I added).  I could hear the young man thinking, I could hear the keys on his keyboard and then without hesitation he said a purchase order would be sent to the respite provider in a few weeks. 
Victory!  Taking the bull by the horns brought the result I was looking for!  A great day followed. 

No comments: