Tuesday 2 August 2016

A Duck's Life

I sensed they might just step off the kerb in front of me.  I was driving with caution as I saw their large family test my stopping ability.  The daddy stepped off the kerb followed by his many children and then his life partner.  I came to a sudden halt and hoped the car approaching in the opposite direction would do the same.
I grinned at the family and settled in for the long haul.  It can take a while for ducks to cross a busy road with their tiny ducklings in tow!
With all the sadness, grief and lately home renovations it was a delight to watch the ducks cross safely across the road.  A little big of 'sane-ness' in my topsy turvy world of late.
It's has been a month since Damien died.  Mel is full of grief and there is nothing which can be done but allow her to grieve while I hold her hand and comfort her.  It is essential to grieve, it is the healing process.  I am her mother, I worry as mothers do.  I know she will recover and life will be roses and singing birds in the future but not at the moment.  She is just sad.  Sad on the inside.  I am sad for her.
Damien's cousin rang me during the week and we chatted together.  She mentioned they had found I card I had written.  It just had my name and phone number and stated if I could help in anyway that I would.  She told me she had the card and read it to me and I cried while I spoke to her sitting in my car.  I wanted so much to be able to help while he was alive but it was already too late.  The cancer was too advanced.  I imagined we could celebrate an early birthday or go to the movies but it was never to be.  He was just too ill.  I cried for his life lost.
Recently I buried my thoughts in home renovations.  I have a brand new laundry and a new dishwasher and kitchen appliances.  It has kept me busy from my thoughts but with renovations comes sorting out rooms and displacement of stuff.  We all have 'stuff,' I seem to have quite a bit of it at the moment.  Some of my laundry stuff is still outside waiting to be sorted or chucked.  My linen is still in the spare room awaiting the same fate.  I'll get around to it.
This week Mel and I are putting together a photo book with her precious photos of Damien and herself.  She will treasure it.  She has planned 'Damien Days.'  A time to reflect the things which Damien enjoyed doing, eating or visiting.  I just call healing.
My mind is rather jumbled but the memory of the duck family today brings me pleasure and a reminder that all will be well.  It is just a matter of time.


No comments: