Friday 26 August 2016

Daffodil Day

Today is Daffodil Day.  A bunch of bright yellow daffodils delight me in their coffee jar.  They sit tranquil on my kitchen bench.  I didn't have to think about whether to buy them, I knew Daffodil Day was coming.  I know the money raised from their sale goes to the WA Cancer Council, it is the very least I can do. 
Mel bought two bunches.  One for herself and one for a friend celebrating her birthday.  I told her to tell her friend the money raised goes to help those with cancer.  Damien would be proud of her.  Damien has been gone only eight weeks but it seems so much longer.  I still shed tears when I retell his story.  His sad childhood, his lung cancer and finally how the cancer stole his life when he and all those around him least expected it.
Mel and I had hoped to help out at a stall selling daffodils but there were no stalls which needed help.  Maybe I enquired too late.  Anything too hard in my busy life and I find it easier to just put it put aside. Therefore it was easier to purchase bunches of daffodils.  I don't feel bad about it.  Another time, another year we may have the opportunity to help more. 
Mel's online photo album we put together arrived this week.  The postman knocked on my door and personally handed it to me.  What a lovely postie we have!
Mel and I found an online site which allowed us to chose backgrounds, scrapbooking pictures to add and a variety of choices on colours and sizes.  We spent two mornings putting it together.  Choosing the right photos, putting them in order.  Mel choose the colours, backgrounds and scrapbooking pictures.
 It can be difficult to entrust a company to provide what you hope will be a keepsake.  Mel and I opened her photo book together. It was exactly how we had hoped.  The treasured photo book is a delight as it tells the story of Damien and Mel through chosen photos.


No comments: