Friday 6 December 2013

Remembering Nelson Mandela

The world stood still this morning as news of Mandela's death was broadcast to all
Nelson Mandela an inspiration to all
A humble, forgiving man, a one time leader of South Africa
A caring man who not only cared but fought
 for all those oppressed in his land
A man who changed his nation and the world
In October this year I stood in the Soweto house which once belonged to him and Winnie
I stood in his kitchen and imagined the hardship he endured to ensure the freedom of his people
I stood in his bedroom and wandered what he thought as he lay his head down to sleep
I read the plaques on his living room walls and knew Nelson Mandela is no ordinary man
I had my photo taken in his back yard,
The place he himself had stood enjoying the company of family and friends


Outside wall of Nelson Mandela's Museum House
Now this house is a tourist museum, a place of  volunteer guides, snapping cameras and unknown friends.
The press is already speculating unrest and disappointment after  the death of their honoured leader.
I pray the good and the justice which Mandela fought and paid for is not forgotten - not now or anytime in the future.





No comments: