Tuesday 17 December 2013

Chasms At Christmas

When I am not heard
 

The Christmas season is all about joy, glitter, trees and family fun.  It's not true for everyone.  Even with much cooler weather today there are puddles afoot.  Mel's friend who lives in the same complex as her is having a puddle moment.  In reality it's more of a deep chasm experience when you are not heard.  Mel's  friend confided in me, saying her reverse cycle air conditioner hasn't worked for months.  She had been cold in the winter and now the excruciating heat hung in her unit while others in surrounding units enjoyed cooler air.   I recently took her home from the Carols in the Park and waited for her to get safely inside.  Her key didn't work in the front door and she needed to use the rear entrance.
The units are only four years old and maintenance which was once a priority appears to be non-existent.  She has asked the supervisor regularly to have her reverse cycle air conditioner repaired to no avail.
I have and continue to be Mel's advocate.  Sometimes she becomes unravelled when confronted with  issues.  I take up the slack and sort it out for her.  Mothers, carers, advocates we do this sort of thing.   Mel's friend has no-one to advocate for her.  I discussed some options which may help her, but when I see her again on Thursday I will give her further information.  I know it can be difficult to talk with the supervisor or ring a case manager.  I'll be there for her because her quality of life is important to me.

No comments: