Sunday 1 December 2013

Where Was My Head?

Enjoying the Great Outdoors
Lazy Sunday morning and running late for breakfast.  Merv took his time to get up and sat at the table awaiting his cereal.  He stared at it and looked up at me.  'Sorry' I said,  I had put my Special K in front of him and I sat staring at his Weet-bix.  Simple mistake, not sure where my head is today.
We headed off to Garvey Park after picking up Mel from her unit.  She was happy and chatted about her weight loss, her boyfriend and her endless social life.

Resting at the end of the footpath
Garvey Park is on the south side of the Swan River and has a long winding footpath ideal for wheelchairs.  We arrived to find all the car parks overflowing onto the grassed areas making it a little more difficult to manage the wheelchair, but we managed alright.   I should have checked the website as there was some type of community fair happening with numerous food stalls,  play stations for the kids including a playtime train.  The footpath wasn't as busy and we picked up speed while enjoying the serenity of the river with the occasional kayaker, waterbirds, shady trees, river reeds and grasses.  The temperature was mild at 24 degrees.  No matter the weather we wear sunhats and take water bottles with us.  Near the end of the footpath is a bumpy wooden bridge with room for walkers in opposite directions but doesn't allow for wheelchairs and bikes opposing each other. We appreciated the bikers who waited for us to reach the end.  The bridge was anything but  level and I pushed Merv up the incline and held on with tightly as it dipped suddenly.

Kayaks on the Swan River
 
We sat under the shady tree at the end of the footpath before preparing ourselves for the return over the bridge once again and back to the car.As we drove onto our paving in the front garden I saw the front door was open.  Oh goodness, thoughts raced through my mind;  had we been burgled, was someone inside?  Bravely I marched inside, the security door was open, I looked around.  What had I done?  Yes, I forgot to lock the door and the house had been open for over three hours!  My iPad was still sitting in the lounge, everything was exactly as we had left it.  I just forgot to lock the doors!  I have done that twice before, but many years ago.  Just like the cereal, where was my head?

No comments: