Friday 12 July 2013

Time is of the Essence

I retired from my community services job over 3 months ago.  I was a coordinator looking after 60 volunteers for a not for profit service provider.  I loved my job, but it was time to leave to care for Merv and join Mel in her journey of HD testing.  Unfortunately her results were positive, but it is part of her journey now and she knows I am there for her.
When I was working I had enough respite hours to leave home, work all day and return home.  I worked three days a week.   We were fortunate to receive respite of 11.5 hours a week free through DSC.  We paid PHCS for the rest of the in-home respite at  $8 per hour, which totalled $160 per month.  Merv also attends the HD group for 4 hours and a local day centre for 6 hours a week, which kept the in-home respite affordable.
Since I retired his free respite has been reduced to 10 hours a week and the carer arrives at 9am instead of 7:30am, which keeps everyone happy.  It is less stressful setting the alarm later and being ready to head out at 9am!  No longer to go to work but either my time is for Mel's never ending appointments and unit cleaning or an appointment of my own doing. 
This is where my dilemma commences.  During my working life (three years since Merv's became ill) I worked all day and drove home at 4pm, my erratic driving often mistaken for a Grand Prix practise.  I had no free time to shop, to browse, to consider, to buy.  I would have to arrange for Dustin to come after work, or go out during the weekend and Mel was stay and keep Merv busy.  I once - yes just once, took a sickie. 
My two week respites were like a trip to another planet.  I shopped all day because I could, I arrived home and sat in front of the TV and ate prawns and salad.  No need to think about Merv's showering, dressing and medications.
Today Merv went off to the day centre for 6 hours and I was free.  What did I do? You wont believe it but I cleaned out the walk-in pantry. It took all day.  It was boring.  It was hard work.  I could have done so many other things but the pantry now looks and works so well.  I am so happy. It is such a relief!  It hadn't been done for over two years and that was just a quick sort out, today was the real deal.  I am so relieved I finally had time to get it done.  Time, I once took for granted.









No comments: