Wednesday 10 July 2013

Less of a Woman

We continuously hear how high the percentage of obese or overweight people in Australia is.  It is the same in many other western countries.   Melanie is overweight mainly due to her mental health meds.  At the age of 22 she went from size 8 to size 18 in twelve months.  The meds increase her appetite.  Her hunger demands her attention and she submissively feeds the brute.  She has tried Jenny Craig, shakes - every flavour, every brand, Lite N Easy and for the last 4 months Weight Watchers.  Mel has finally lost 5kg but its an ongoing yo-yo ride.  Some weeks its a star on her WW card and other times bring tears, grief and unbelief.  At least she has lost 5 kgs.
I have my own weight demons.  During my younger years I wore size 10 clothes and never had to worry about dieting.  Then I had children and the jigsaw puzzle of life changed the picture view.  I had to begin watching what I ate, how I could exercise, which was mainly walking and aerobics on video/early morning TV!  I began my own yo-yo experience.  I would lose weight before going on holiday to allow me to each anything of choice while away.  I wouldn't lose it when I returned home.  Only a few months before the next holiday would I then begin to lose the weight.  The pattern had  evolved. I did the same last year when I went to Bali but lost only half the weight I wanted to.  When I returned I put in place a plan to lose all the weight.  I bought a treadmill in 2009 when I had to start work at 7:30am and it was too dark in the morning to walk.  I use it at least 6 days a week and think it helps.
Dustin had been on the Body Trim lifestyle program and he lost 10kgs.  I was amazed, it worked!  Just like a trooper I went ahead and watched the DVD's he had borrowed from a friend and did some internet research.  I lost another 7kgs. 
After losing the 7kgs I hit on the idea of following Mel with her Weight Watchers journey and it helped her when we discussed what we were eating and how many pro points we had left and how we could use them all up.  Essential to have fun eating but still stay healthy, it has been successful.   I go back on the Body Trim program every now and then, especially when my weight starts to creep up.  The two programs work well together.
Improved health as I get older is the other reason why I have decided to lose weight and keep it off.  As a carer I need to be well to look after Merv and Mel.  If my health suffers they also suffer.  Back to the treadmill and the tuna and salad lunch!

No comments: