Monday 22 July 2013

Time is of Essence

Change is part of life but we don't always embrace it.  Merv and I had a visit from the speech pathologist today.  She came to watch Merv eating his lunch and assess his swallowing.  He had a choking episode a couple of weeks ago and I asked for an assessment. I needed reassurance I was doing everything right, including providing Merv with the food and drink which cause him the least  possibility of choking and how to assist him when he chokes.  Thankfully we are doing everything right.  The young lady who visited is going to write up a swallowing care plan for Merv which will be helpful when he goes into respite.
In the past month there have been more than a few times I have been unable to decipher what Merv has said.  I have asked him to repeat it, believing it must be my hearing.  Instead I found I needed to ask him to use different words to talk to me.  He is frustrated and so am I.
I had hoped by now I would have purchased an i-pad for Merv to use. There are plenty of fabulous communication apps available and help in learning to use them is available from the speech pathology department.  Like lots of things in life, it's on my list of things to buy.  It was when my doctor suggested we purchase it now to allow Merv to learn to use it, while learning new things is not too hard for him.  When I contemplate this, I realise it is not the money I am loathe to part with, it is acknowledging his HD is taking a stronger grip.  Big Bad Harry raises his ugly head once again.

No comments: