Tuesday 9 July 2013

Robin Hood Syndrome

Just another day.  This afternoon Merv choked on his afternoon tea.  I was busy in the kitchen and Mel and Merv were enjoying fruit, weight watcher's biscuits and a cup of tea.  The silence was suddenly shattered by  gasping and spluttering.  I don't remember exactly what I was doing I only remember I sprinted to the table to see Merv gasping for breath and thrashing around. It took only a few seconds to bring him back to a place of calm and reassurance.  Merv is encouraged to cough, when this happens, which assists in clearing the airway and encourages regular breathing.  Merv, the trooper not only finished his cuppa but his choccy biscuits also.  It was if nothing had happened.  Mel was totally unperturbed and just continued with her afternoon tea.  I have a, 'high alert,' button injected under my skin!
Robin Hood is renowned for stealing from the rich to give to the poor.  He didn't have the internet to check on a person's credibility, he just knew who needed the money and who didn't.  Its different today.  I have spent a couple of years ridding ourselves of a decent sized mortgage and a rather overblown credit card bill.  I am now debt free and have enough emergency money in our savings account to prevent a financial blow out.  It feels good.
The dilemma occurs when I receive what many call the, 'the begging letters,' from a multitude of charities.  Requests for donations for overseas disasters, famine, medical emergencies, war torn countries, environmental, animals, disability sports and the list goes on and on.  I have three charities I give to regularly but am I doing the right thing?  Should I add or deduct a charity?  Do I know if these compassionate pleas ensure my money goes to those in need or is too much going towards administrative and other unaccountable costs? 
When I holiday in South Africa in October I am visiting a game reserve and the website encourages tourists to bring goods to help the locals.  It lists suggested goods -  everything from crayons for children to personal women's items.  I am looking forward to doing just that.  It is the, 'handing it over,' which is so much more personal and almost guaranteed to be given to those in need.  That must be the same buzz Robin felt when he handed money to the poor!

No comments: