Sunday 14 July 2013

Vouchers and Freebies

The first, 'Buy one, get one FREE,' I can remember were the MacDonald's and Hungry Jacks burger coupons in the 80's.  A plus for us with two small children.  We would treat ourselves to burgers, sundaes and thick shakes and save money with the deal.  
We no longer buy burgers with or without coupons but the number of offers available have escalated and include almost anything you can think of.
Only a few years ago I had a range of  reduced priced offers tempting me from my inbox.  There were Groupons, Scoopons and Our Deals offers.  All of them offered; cheap breakfast, 50% off meals, holiday packages, movie deals, beauty, massage and recreational offers too good to resist.  I was working and took advantage of a variety of these offers, even purchasing vouchers to pass on to family and friends as gifts and to simply say, 'thank you.'
Merv had been working for the same business for 30 years and was given two years paid sick leave, which was less than his regular take home pay.  His job involved shift work and a shift work allowance, but we managed well.  I rearranged our finances ringing up our utilities, many of them surprised me by offering us cheaper alternatives.  We trimmed down our 'wants list,' and I decreased my working hours from full time to 3 days a week.  We were managing ok.
Then it just hit me.  What was I doing?  I was being tempted by all of these deals, most of which I just didn't need.  Time to take action!  I unsubscribed from them all, just like that.  It was as good as cleaning out the wardrobe!  No more temptation.  Now when we go out for dinner, we chose where we want to go, not the coupon. 
Today we went to the movies and saw, 'Superman, Man of Steel,'  and I used my new Ace Card.  We like the movies and maybe we go once or twice a month, but the deal is too good to refuse.  For a small annual charge we get into any Ace movie, any day. any time for $10 each.  A few dollars more for 3D and a good deal on Gold Class.  We arrive early and secure our seats which are on the same floor level, no steps to contend with.  Life is good when you make the rules.

No comments: