Friday 26 July 2013

Sharing the Smiles

It is stormy today in Perth and I successfully dodged the showers and howling winds to attend a local carer's lunch.  It is a get together of men and women of all ages just enjoying a meal and catching up with friends and making new ones.  This is the third time I have joined the group and I am always amazed and challenged by the carers and their stories.  I sometimes feel I am in a bubble, spending time centred on HD and oblivious to the world as it is and its many challenges. 
Today I chatted to a lady whose two children have a disability.  A lady who cares for her mum and many caring for their spouses.  The disabilities discussed were not what I had expected.  The range of disabilities is so very varied and not as obvious as we often expect.
The very best part of the lunch is listening to people's life stories; where they were born and grew up and their life journey.  I love to hear their stories, see their photos and immerse myself in a little part of them, even for the short time we share together.
During our lunch chatter we share together lifestyle tips and even favourite recipes.  I am already looking forward to the next lunch in August.

No comments: