Wednesday 3 July 2013

Trouble with Tax

I retired from work over 3 months ago.  I am so pleased I did.  I was no longer able to do my job efficiently and I knew it was time to leave.  Sometimes you just know, so you do.  It's like leaving a job and getting a new one.  You may procrastinate over your decision for awhile but you know that you know that you know it's time to go.  So you do.  It was like that for me.  I have no regrets.  I revelled in the extra time I had, that I could go to the shops without dashing in and out to be home in time for Merv's carer to leave.
The financial year has begun again and my workplace posted my group certificate (do we still call it that?) I was surprised I thought I had earned less over the 9 months I worked.  Tonight I thought I would be smart and save myself  $120 by completing my own tax return.  It used to be so simple, but not anymore.  The e-tax man was like a school teacher with a sore head.  It wanted to know those easy things like my name, address and date of birth.  Too easy.  Then it asked for password numbers, sequence numbers and a myriad of others which I knew nothing about. 
It only got worst.  Did I pay money for planting trees or some type of pool thing?  What does this all mean.?  Do I need to claim a tax exempt for the Carer Pension?  "Yes please," I replied but could not find the right button to click.   I had also paid $1,000 into my superannuation on my financial advisors advice.  He said I could put it on my tax and that nice tax man will put $500 extra into my super fund.  Sounds great doesn't it, but I have no idea how to make it work!  I could hear that e tax man having a chuckle at my expense!
I like to tell the truth and if you don't you get sprung anyway.  I declared I had withdrawn a large sum from my super fund and it was added to my income total.  I know I don't have to pay tax on it but the e tax man isn't so sure.  My tax bill and Gina Rhinehart's are looking similar.
After 2 hours of frustration my mouse came to my aid.  I clicked on the right hand corner of my screen and decided against better judgement to save the monster I had created.
Deep breathing commenced and continued. Thank God I put an end to the crazed e tax man.
The power of the mouse, the victory of the slain e tax man.  Let him be a crazy, hairy, ravenous bear to another poor unsuspecting victim.
Tomorrow I will send an email to my accountant and book an appointment for him to do my tax!

No comments: