Wednesday 11 June 2014

Difficult to Swallow

It was the same as any other breakfast.  Warm sloppy porridge followed by medication and a cup of tea.  I'm always at the table when Merv is eating his porridge.  Weetbix in summer.  I leave to make his bed and clean my teeth while he takes his time over his morning cuppa.  That was a mistake.  As I was brushing my teeth and foaming pleasantly at the mouth I heard the dreaded sound.  Merv was choking.  I didn't take time to put down my brush or rinse.  I ran down to the kitchen as he was letting tea fly all over the table and himself.  He was gasping for breath.  I instructed him to cough but he  all I could hear for his gasping for air.  I thumped him on the back between the shoulder blades as I had been instructed.  The choking chart sitting idly on the fridge.  Merv suddenly pulled himself up from the chair and his breath returned.  It was a scary time.  We just sat and dealt with our shock before getting on with the day.  I contacted Merv's speech pathologist who was booked to visit today as she is teaching Merv the speech app on the iPad.  She reassessed him and instructed he uses a straw to drink both cold and hot drinks. Time to collect our thoughts and sigh thankfully that the episode is over and we have a plan in action. I know it won't solve the problem but it will help.

No comments: