Monday 30 December 2013

A Basket of Joy

Merv stumbles out the door and grabs the hose from me.  His daily ritual is to water his plants under the patio.  They are prolific in flower and fruit.  He mumbles about the plants in the mini greenhouse and he pulls my arm towards them.  Ah,  I see what he is doing his best to tell me.  There are numerous baby capsicums eagerly sprouting.   We were besieged by red and yellow coloured tomatoes over Christmas.  We were waiting for the yellow tomatoes to turn red, only to find they were ripe and were 'born' yellow, they were never going to turn red!  I cut some of them up and put them on his lunch plate everyday.  I want him to taste and delight in the fruits of his labour.  Alongside the tomatoes today, I placed a lone strawberry which had ripened in its hanging basket. 
Later today I found a beautiful glossy green capsicum hiding under a leafy canopy. A quick twist of the stalk, mixed with gleeful delight from us both and it sits proudly in our fridge awaiting our end of year celebrations tomorrow.
Merv's petunias and marigolds are a splendid cascade of colours and a delight to the eye.
As Merv becomes increasingly dependent on me, his garden is a joy we can share together.


No comments: