Sunday 29 December 2013

Playing A New Game

Merv likes to play games.  He has been a ten pin bowling player since his teenage years.   When we were young and courting (such a long time ago!) most of our games were centred on chasing me along the beach!  Merv played endless games with our children; from building block constructions with Dustin as a toddler to Monopoly and other board games.
It is now second nature that we play games and we have begun games on the iPad.  Today we found a scrambled games of animal names.  We laughed together as we helped each other un-jumble the letters.  Merv spends endless hours playing games with his support workers and with Mel when she visits. 
When I thought what I could buy Merv for Christmas it was simply to buy some new games.  I visited the toy shops,  I visited the Games Shop and I went to all the big department stores.  I just needed something he will enjoy and something he can succeed in. 
I choose a magnetic dart board and a game called Qwirkle. 
Qwirkle is a colour and shape version of dominos.  I changed the rules to match the colours or shapes but without the scoring and winning.  It is merely the joy of completing the game and the strategies employed in doing so.  Merv enjoys it.  I enjoy it and no one wins or loses!

No comments: