Thursday 5 December 2013

Mum's Christmas Lunch


My Mum
I was thrilled to attend my Mum's Christmas lunch today.  I took Mel with me.  My Mum is 83 and has been living in a care facility for just over three years.  It's not just a care facility, it's Mum's home and she knows the other residents. She is happy to chat with them and sad when they are moved to other facilities or pass away.  They have become an extended family.
The staff throw an amazing Christmas lunch each year, it's the highlight of the year for many of the residents.  The ladies like to dress up and everyone enjoys the change of everyday routine.
Mel and I arrived early and with Mum leading the way with her walker we dropped by the wine and
nibbles corner only to find all the seats were taken.  We finally settled in the coffee corner for a short time before being ushered into the dining room.  The Christmas tree stood majestically in the entrance, all the tables were adorned with white tablecloths and festive decorations.  Colossal bon-bons were at each place setting alongside fanned serviettes, tree decorations to take home and a few sweet treats.  
Mum with Mel and me
The regular staff dressed in formal black with a gold flower on their top.  If we didn't know we would have thought they were hired wait staff. They shone as they ensured everyone was seated and had a drink to begin their banquet.  The lovely ladies busied themselves while serving and made sure both residents and their visitors enjoyed the scrumptious three courses.  The food was first class, the wine crisp and fresh.  Mel enjoyed a couple of glasses of punch.  A local choir entertained us with a chorus of Christmas carols.  I happily sang along.  It made for a perfect conclusion to a most enjoyable time with my Mum, my daughter and the residents of Mum's home.

No comments: