Thursday 26 December 2013

Harry Spoils Boxing Day

Christmas Day is tradition just like Boxing Day. Merv's annual Liquorice All Sorts are also a Christmas tradition.  Not widely known outside our immediate family but still a tradition.  Each year I have bought, wrapped and not necessarily surprised him with boxes of liquorice all sorts.  It was no different this year.
After a slow start to the day I opened up the first of two boxes and left them next to his lounge chair.  I went about cleaning the kitchen and tidying the house. 
My ears suddenly sent a siren call to my brain.  I ran into the lounge as Merv was struggling to catch his breath.  His voice was barely audible as I instructed him to sit straight and cough hard.  It must have been only a number of seconds but it seemed a life time before he was able to breath freely again. 
My heart sank as I knew this is the last Christmas Merv will receive his treasured liquorice all sorts.  Big bad Harry lurks waiting to spoil our joy.  He has achieved his goal today.

No comments: