Sunday 12 January 2014

Horror of Bushfire

The road ahead was deserted and eerie . I switched on my high beam and ignored the speed limit. It is 3am and I should be sleeping soundly, though it's still 30°C in the middle of the night.  Just minutes beforehand I woke to the ringing of my iPhone.  As I wake I smell smoke through the air conditioner and the open window. 


The area burnt out behind Mel's unit
Mel is ringing me.  She is calm but I know there is something wrong. "Mum" she says, "We've been evacuated because there is a fire behind the units and I'm standing with everyone across the road." That was all I needed to hear before the mummy protector power kicked in.  Merv was sound asleep and I did not disturb him. I dressed in a minute and set off, speeding in a 60 km zone.  I had my iPhone on loud speaker  while it sat on my lap as I drove.  I justified this to myself that I wasn't actually holding the phone, as there are hefty fines and demerit points in WA for driving and using a mobile.  I kept on chatting to Mel and even spoke to the night support worker. He needed to know I was taking Mel home with me. I was only 300m away when a suffocating blanket of smoke filled the car.  The police had closed the road and I had to park at the childcare centre on the corner. With my phone I alighted to the footpath.  "Where are you Mel?" I cried.  
I can't see her, but she calmly says she can see me.  The police tell me I am not allowed to go any further, I am not allowed to enter but Mel can leave.  Oh there she is dressed in her nightie, striding towards me in the heat of the night with the smoke all around. I hug her and put her in the car. Her support worker talks with me and returns minutes later with her Webster medication pack. I settle Mel when we return home.  I give her a cold drink and an icy pole.  I  find her asthma puffer and tuck her into bed. I thank God she is safe and well.  I later read there were two fires in the area which explains why I can smell the smoke 10kms away. The minimum temperature during the night was 29°C at 5am.  At 10am this morning it is already 42.8°C.  It has slowly cooled down throughout the day and at 5pm the temperature still hovers at 33°C.   There will be many more hot days and nights to come before the summer is through.  I am thankful the many horrors of a bushfire have been avoided and Mel has returned to her own unit today. The photo taken later this afternoon when we took her home, shows how the fire came right up to the fence behind the units.

No comments: