Tuesday 14 January 2014

Cool Breeze Relief

A cool breeze comes through the window, cooling the house and banishing the memories of the offensive heat only days beforehand.   Merv is lounging in his chair in front of the TV.  It is the annual Australian Open fortnight and there is a multitude of well-known and a collection of new Australians playing for the ultimate prize.  Our much prized Lleyton Hewitt went out today to Italian 24th seed Andreas Seppi in a four-hour, five-set first-round loss at Melbourne Park.  It is over 40°C in Melbourne and it is threatening the same for the next few days.  A difficult scenario to play good tennis.  Our thoughts are with them as we enjoy the coolness of the evening and prepare for a hot weekend ahead.  Bernard Tomic is playing Rafael Nadal this evening and everyone expects Nadal to win but we watch the match and barrack for Tomic.  We are stunned when Tomic pulls out after the first set due to injury.  That's tennis, that's life!

Lleyton Hewitt
Lleyton Hewitt Australian Tennis Star
Merv has walked from the bedroom to the dining table and to the lounge chair.  He desperately needs some exercise.  The oxygen is going nowhere in his body.  I send him outside and ask him to walk around just to get some of his muscles working.  I watch him walk and his body is bent forward and he hobbles as if his feet are sinking into mud.  The area is well paved and I wonder how many months or years before he is confined to a wheelchair.  I rid my mind of these thoughts for they are of no use to me today.  The wheelchair we have borrowed to use in the community is a reminder that his health is not as good as it was this time last year.  I cannot think of the future today.  I am tired after an emotional weekend and I rest with the breeze embracing me and lulling me to sleep.  Tomorrow is another day and we will keep on smiling and keep on going and Merv will continue watching the tennis!

No comments: