Tuesday 7 January 2014

A Rocky Road

Merv's  has a support worker who comes just once a month while I take Mel to her clinic appointment.  She works for a different agency, one which I worked at myself over five years ago.  She began working with Merv well over a year ago.  I remember when I opened the door and saw her standing there, I was overjoyed to see her.  I first met her at the agency in 2004 while she was a  receptionist, directing phone traffic around the office.  Years later when I was an Assistant Coordinator she asked to become a support worker and we were blessed she came to work with our clients.  She is welcoming, kind and fun.  Today she said she is retiring in April to spend more time with her family.  My heart sank.  It is the feeling of every client and their carer when a 'good one' leaves.  It takes time to build a relationship which is beneficial to both worker and client.  It is about give and take, gratitude and acceptance.  We will miss her.

No comments: