Thursday 6 March 2014

Playing Safe


Yesterday I dismissed the handbrake light on my dashboard. I checked the handbrake was off and a few minutes later the light stopped and was quickly forgotten. The light was back on this morning and I made a mental note to tell Mark my mechanic.  With our Busselton getaway this Saturday I wanted to have my oil, coolant and tyre pressure checked. It's just a drop in situation.  I told Mark it was nothing to worry about and briefly told Mark about my hand brake light.  Mel and I busied ourselves reading and chatting as Mark checked the car.
 

What he told me, stunned me!  He said the light came on because I was losing brake fluid due to a hose becoming loose.  Mark tightened the hose and topped up the brake fluid. 
Ten years ago I lost my brakes on my Mitsubishi van.  Just before heading off on the main road I had made a snap decision to drive down a small residential street, with no traffic or pedestrians. The van refused to stop on a slight gradient and took some distance to stop.  Thank goodness I had a change of mind, Mel was with me.  Our lives and others could have been threatened.

I shared my day's story with Dustin tonight adding, " how sad that would be if we lost our brakes while we are  away on holiday!  We could have died and you would be the sole owner of our house!"   I knew his reaction.  He laughed.  So did I.  Thank you Mark for keeping us safe.

No comments: