Sunday 10 September 2017

Smelling the Flowers

I know I can count the number of summers and Christmas's Merv will enjoy in our house before being admitted to a nursing home.  There won't be too many.  Only the other day I told him when he can no longer stand (weight bear) he will need to.  His walking is much more animated and he gets breathless and sleepy easily.  Not being able to weight bear is my bench mark for his care to be transferred to a nursing home.  If only I had a magic wand.
Summer is knocking at the door and summer days enjoyed outside beckon us.  Our alfresco area is without a view of the sky or garden, therefore my fantasy back garden evolves in my mind.
Celebrating six months in our new house next Sunday and looking back over those months we have done quite a bit to the house including the front garden but except for the veggie garden not much else.
Thank goodness the back garden is so much smaller than our last one!  It's not what works for us.  There is a large area of grass with concrete borders for the flower gardens.  There is also a outlandish purple and pink pergola.  Sad as it may seem I'm getting used to the colours!  My idea of painting it in the Spring may or may not happen.
At the moment I'm busy digging up the grass, yes all of it!  It started with my blunt shovel before I swapped it for my $8 garden fork from the hardware store.  It worked a treat until it started to bend out of shape.  Oh well, another trip to the store for a better quality one.
Only a few months ago my quest was to have a gazebo built which will look out over the back garden but what is the point if the garden isn't finished?
I want so much to have a wheelchair friendly garden path where Merv can see, smell and touch the flowers and marvel at the birds who will visit our flowering native plants.  It is clearly in my head.
Merv already has a wheelchair ramp to the back garden.
our home grown veggies, yummy...
I have contacted local landscapers to quote me on my dream while I furiously dig up the damn grass! I will plant the plants myself and hopefully will choose them wisely.  It is so easy to plant things which grow out of control and need a bottle of poison and a lot of digging to eradicate them!
I have an ornamental windmill as the centrepiece.  A path will wind around it to all areas of the garden for wheelchair access.  Oh, may my dream become a reality....I'll keep you posted.
The digging begins...

Mel digging, bless her



No comments: