Wednesday 30 August 2017

Believe It Or Not

I think back to the many times I thought I had it right.  My plans, my thoughts, my doing.  Mostly I got it right, sometimes it was just a bit too far fetched and other times I just got it so wrong.
Like the recent respite, it was just wrong.
Merv came home yesterday, his face was red raw, he wasn't shaved properly.  I asked him if he had a good time in respite and he remarked he had.  He knew nothing of why I had turned up suddenly last Tuesday to feed him with his favourite meal.
When your thoughts invade your very being and your mind is in turmoil you know you need to do something to put it right.  Gut feeling, yes that what drove me to pick up the phone and contact his regular respite provider.  From experience I know you often have to book a year in advance.  I asked if on the 'off chance' they had respite available on the dates I needed in November.  She took just a moment before replying she did.  I booked it.  I know Merv will be fed properly and I won't need to worry.
I thought about why I had it so wrong.  Was it because the respite facility was only ten minutes away and promised high care facility and care?  Yes, I believe it was.  A little like a wolf in sheep's clothing as the expression goes.  I was fooled, I fell for it and I had my fingers burnt. We live and learn.
Everyday we hear of people who are duped, scammed, conned and fall victim to unscrupulous, immoral person/s.
It wasn't so long ago a friend of mine, a bank manager told the story of a lady begging her for a loan to pay someone in Nigeria who promised her a whole lot of money.  My friend insisted it was a scam, her customer didn't or couldn't believe it.  The bank manager shook her head and of course no loan was provided.  Thousands of people with the same expectation lost millions of dollars.
Today people are still duped by scammers on the phone impersonating the tax department or other government departments.
Just a little joy, an unexpected windfall, a miracle, a well deserved blessing, whatever we call it, it's not impossible.  Many times Merv and I have been blessed with a windfall of an unexpected nature.
We have blessed with funds from my Uncle's passing, he had no family of his own.  We won a short holiday at the Royal Show to Albany complete with accommodation and travel.  How amazing was that!
Merv's employer at times blessed us with unexpected large sums of money from a couple of hundred dollars to over $3,000.  Even when he had to leave work due to his declining health we were able to apply and had approved his disability insurance on his super.  Because Huntington's is a genetic disease we were never sure if it would be paid out.  Like everyone else we had just hoped for the best!
I hope we never lose our aspirations to aim high, to hope, to trust and enjoy life.

Always looking out for Merv and keeping him happy!

No comments: