Wednesday 23 October 2013

News Flash

Safari News on Hold due to this Newsflash:

Presentation of Cheque
Merv went to his HD social group this morning and the car park was full, the room was filled with people I didn't recognise and cups and saucers were lined up on the table. What was going on here?
"Didn't I know?"  I was asked,
"Know What?" I replied.
A special presentation was about to be made to Huntington's WA.  Instead of  rushing home and cutting down that difficult bush at the rear of the garden I chose to stay and witness the presentation (so much nicer than gardening!)
Disability Services Minister Helen Morton presented a Lotterywest Grant of $592,511 to Ann Jones, Chairperson of Huntington's WA.  The grant is from Lotterywest.  I believe we are the only state in Australia where surplus money from the purchase of lottery tickets and scratchies is donated back to our community.  Many community needs and families have benefitted from the generosity of Lotterywest since its inception. 

The donation to Huntington's WA is to fund,
The Treatment of Pre-diagnostic Huntington's Disease.  

Lotterywest Grant Cheque for $592,511 AUD
Research will be centred on people who are HD gene positive but as yet not symptomatic.    I couldn't have been happier, my Melanie falls into this category.  Anything which is helpful and provides hope is good not only for my family but for everyone with HD in their family.
It was a good feeling to know we have ongoing research available right here at home.



No comments: